VCP 5 – Study Blueprint Section 1.2 Install and configure VMware ESXi
Perform an interactive installation of ESXi
- Use the CD/DVD
- Use PXE Boot
- Use USB Flash
Deploy an ESXi host using Auto Deploy
- Use PXE Boot from the OVT applicance (DHCP, TFTP, HTTP, auto deploy cmd CLI)
- ESXi is installed from the OVT applicance.
- adds ESXi Host to vCenter
- Hosts profile is applied to the ESXi Host
Configure NTP on an ESXi Host
- Using vSPhere Client select host then configure/time configuration item. Select the properties link and then add the NTP server and restart the ntpd service.
Configure DNS and Routing on an ESXi host
- Using vSphere Client select host then configure/DNS and Routing item. Select the properties link and then add hostname, DNS servers, domain.
- Using vSphere Client select host then Configure/Processor item. Select the Properties link and enable or disable hyperthreading
- Use Hardware BIOS settings
- To enable/Disable HT on a single VM, Select the VM then edit settings, select the resources tab and then the Advanced CPU item. Select None to disable HT for the physical processors used by the VM or select any or internal to enable.
Enable/Size/Disable memory compression cache
- using vSphere Client select configure/Advanced settings and then adjust the following
- mem.memZipEnable = 1 for on and 0 for off (1 default)
- mem.memZipMaxPct = 5 to 100 (10 default)
License an ESXi Host
- Using vSphere Client select Home then the Licensing icon
- ESXi hosts are licensed per CPU socket and RAM per Socket
- Levels are:
- Essentials Plus
- Enterprise Plus